Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The eternal tiling project...


This tiling project is taking much much much longer than I ever expected. We have spent about 12-15 hours on this so far. The first time we got started we did not realize the slate tiles were all a different size. So we had to take them all down. The next day we sorted them into sizes so that helped a bunch. Then there is the problem of cutting these. The slate just wants to split. So cutting all these little tiny pieces is almost impossible. I am using a grinder with a hitachi wet/dry diamond blade. It cuts fine but the tile just splits. So for each small piece, you have to cut about 3 tiles until you get a piece of slate that is strong enough. Its coming though. I am hoping we can finish tomorrow but I wont put any money on it. Then hopefully we can grout on friday. The stove shop called and said the stove is in. We will be picking that up today. I leave on monday for the Show for work so I really want to have the tile done and the stove setting in place so all I have to do is the chimney when I get back. I only have a week and a half to get the chimney together before the academy starts and I don't want this project looming over my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment